As you may already know, the Healthy Workplaces/Healthy Families Act of 2014 (California Paid Sick Leave) went into effect January 1, 2015.
While the accrual of paid sick leave does not begin until July 1, 2015, employers are required to provide labor code notice 2810.5 to all employees hired after 1/1/15 and display the compliant poster provided by the Labor Commissioner as of 1/1/15.
What you need to do now:
- Display poster where all employees can see / have access
- Provide notice 2810.5 to all employees hired after 1/1/15
Download Poster & Notice 2810.5 here:
What you need to do before July 1st:
- Determine the sick leave policy your company will adopt
- Determine the best method of accrual / compliance based on your sick leave policy
- Draft or amend your policy and prepare to distribute to all employees no later than July 1, 2015
- Prepare notice 2810.5 for distribution to all current employees no later than July 8, 2015 (employees hired after 1/1/15 must receive notice immediately as stated above, all other current employees hired prior to 1/1/15 must receive notice by July 8th).
- Work with your payroll provider on compliant recordkeeping and wage statement requirements
- Develop a strategy for out-of-state employees working in California frequently
Labor laws can be confusing, but non-compliance could be costly and catastrophic to your business. Get started today on your strategy for meeting all of the California sick leave requirements. We will be continually posting important information employers need to know regarding the Healthy Workplace/Healthy Families Act of 2014.
Department of Industrial Relations: http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/Paid_Sick_Leave.htm